Lemon Blueberry Bread
I am beginning to see people in my life as either energy vampires or energy recharger. The “vampires” often leave me so drained that I have to become a social recluse for a couple of days afterwards to recover. The rechargeable ones keep me stimulated, and there is a good vibe that goes both ways. I can be myself, well centered, and happy. The best part is that I tend to do things that I like to when I’m happy, such as baking.
After a month of baking hiatus, I finally made this Lemon Blueberry bread. For some reason, I have a lot of lemons lying around on my fruit tier. The bread isn’t as sweet as lemon cake. Just a hint of lemon studded with the beautiful blueberries. The recipe is good but perhaps needs just a tad more sugar to bring out the tart lemon. It either needs more lemon zest or vanilla extract to make it more fragrant as well. I used self-rising flour instead of the mix of APL with baking powder and salt. In the end, I had more fun taking pictures of it than eating it.
Prep: 20min Bake: 50min Oven: 350F makes 1 loaf(16 servings) Nutrition fact per serving: 126 Calories
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1. Grease the bottom and ½ inch up sides of an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, the ¾ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
2. In another medium bowl combine the egg, milk, oil, lemon peel, and the 1 tablspoon lemon juice. Add the egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake in 350F oven for 50-55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. If desired, stir together the 2 tablespoons lemon juice and the 1 tablespoon sugar. While bread is still in the pan, brush lemon-sugar mixture over the top of the loaf. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before serving.